Monday, May 9, 2016

Second World: Chapter 13

Twins

No one liked outsiders. Even more so, they didn't like people who don't seem to notice that they don't belong. We belong in that category. A group of outsiders that rarely realize that what they were doing and how they acted was not accepted in the town.

Peter looked at Celeste as she demanded from the innkeeper, "I want coffee. No, it can't be too bitter. I want milk in it too. Goat milk. Let's see, I also want vanilla syrup You don't know what that is?! My God!! Well, bring some sweetener on the side for me. Oh and do you have this thing called whip cream? No? Fine, just bring me what I asked and sugar cubes. Thanks."

I sighed and gave a small glance around us as the innkeeper left before talking, "So what should we do while waiting to gain audience with the Queen?"

Celeste replied, "Do whatever we can. Obviously, I would even suggest storming into the castle but I don't want to lose my life in another land."

I looked to Peter. He shrugged. Since we didn't know enough about this kingdom, we had to do everything to the best of our abilities and adapt when necessary.

The innkeeper brought our order and asked in a nervous tone, "Umm... will you be able to pay for everything? It adds up to a little more than 200 silver..."

I looked at the innkeeper and gave my best smile, "Yes, we can pay for it. Don't worry. We won't order too much to not be able to pay. Thanks for the warning."

The innkeeper gave a small smile before heading back to serving other customers. When he did, two people entered the building. I stared at them. They dressed completely in black and didn't reveal their faces, which could mean that they might not be the best people to interact with.

Celeste stuffed her face with the food and coffee that she ordered. Peter ate what he could while I just nibbled on the muffin that I ordered. The two people walked silently over to where our table was and actually sat down with us. All three of us stopped eating and stared at them.

The one with long platinum blonde hair grabbed my hands and smiled. The face under the hood revealed one with a well cared for face. She continued to smile and asked, "Does anyone tell you that you look like the splitting image of the Queen?"

I looked over at Peter and Celeste, hoping that they would help me. But nope, they looked away. The other of the two actually started eating the food on our table. With a small, both of their hoods fell off their heads. I looked back at the girl and asked, "Umm... how am I able to help you?"

At a second glance, I was able to tell that the both of them were twins. Almost identical save for their hair color and their hair length. The boy sighed and said, "Hurry up. We don't have time for this."

The girl turned to the boy and pouted, "I know."

The girl turned back to me and opened her mouth, ready to say something else when there was a scream heard from the streets.

Everyone in the room turned towards the scream. The boy grabbed the girl's arm, "Alice, we need to go before the guards come!"

"But, Kaine..."

Another scream could be heard. This time, Celeste and Peter stood. I looked at them and nodded to them. With that, they ran up to our rooms and grabbed all our things. I looked at the girl and boy before me and asked, "If you must go, you should go. Is there any reason you don't wish to let go?"

The girl named Alice nodded, "You look very much like the Queen. We need to check something with you first."

The boy named Kaine shouted, "Alice! Something is happening right outside and since we don't know what, we have to go!"

Alice shook her head, "I wish to stay with her."

"Alice!"

"Eve!" Peter cried out. I turned to look in his direction as a sword came flying at me. I pulled my hands from Alice's and grabbed the sword in the air. As Peter neared me, I took hold of the rest of my things, "Have you paid the innkeeper?"

"Yes," I looked to Celeste, "You holding up okay?"

Celeste nodded. Suddenly, a voice called out inside my head, Human Child!


Original content posted under the pen name of Elyona Sterling at Textnovel.

No comments:

Post a Comment